Asunto:[GAP] Fwd: 22,000 at the gates of Fort Benning, human rights activists arrested for taking the protest to close the SOA onto the military b
Fecha:Domingo, 19 de Noviembre, 2006  12:52:47 (-0600)
Autor:Red Iberoamericana de Luz <ricardoredluz @.....com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: SOA Watch <info@...>
Date: 19-nov-2006 12:26
Subject: 22,000 at the gates of Fort Benning, human rights activists
arrested for taking the protest to close the SOA onto the military b
To: luxweb-owner@...

*School of the Americas Watch
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=230549551&url_num=1&url=http://www.soaw.org/new/>;
www.SOAW.org | 202-234-3440 |Click to
subscribe<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=230549551&url_num=2&url=http://soaw.live.radicaldesigns.org/modinput4.php?modin=52>;
*

*Saturday, November 19, 2006 at 12:30 PM
Fort Benning, Georgia*

  * Visit the SOA Watch
webpage<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=230549551&url_num=3&url=http://www.soaw.org>;for
constant updates

<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=230549551&url_num=4&url=http://www.soaw.org>;
*

 Over 22,000 people are marching here at the gates of Fort Benning in a
beautiful and massive funeral procession led by Latin American torture
survivors and social justice movement leaders, among them Renato Antonio
Areiza from the Colombian Peace Community of San José de Apartadó. Last
year, Renatos's sister was murdered by troops under the command of an SOA
graduate. This gathering, our largest and most diverse ever, stretches over
the length of Fort Benning Road, with thousands holding crosses, stars of
David and other symbols of hope and resistance. As musicians sing out
"Deyanira Areiza" and the names of hundreds more victims of School of the
Americas (SOA/ WHINSEC)-sponsored violence, the crowd responds, "Presente!"

Along the procession route people have begun to transform the fences
surrounding the protest site into expressions of hope and remembrance,
placing their symbols in and around the three-layer chain-link barriers
erected by the city of Columbus and military personnel.

Thirteen people just went through a hole in the fence and carried their
protest onto the military base in acts of nonviolent civil disobedience. Two
of the human rights activists that engaged in the civil disobedience action
were part of the 1000 Grandmothers organizing effort. The military police
just arrested and handcuffed the linecrossers and are guarding the breached
fence to prevent others from entering the base.

Cathy Webster, a 61 year-old peace activist and grandmother from Chico,
California, was among those arrested by the military. *"As a grandmother, I
feel deep compassion and an urge for protection for the vulnerable, the
young, and families,"* said Cathy Webster. *"It breaks my heart to know
about the continual murders and disappearances of countless people in Latin
America. SOA trains the perpetrators of these crimes."*

*For up-to-date news on the gathering, please visit our homepage at
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=230549551&url_num=5&url=http://www.soaw.org>;
www.SOAW.org.*

*Photos by Ted Stein.*

line.

Our postal address is PO Box 4566, Washington, DC 20017.

--
RED IBEROAMERICANA DE LUZ
10o ANIVERSARIO (1996-2006)
www.redluz-ci.org
www.elistas.net/lista/redluz
www.mind-surf.net/redluz.htm
www.mind-surf.net/comunidad.htm
CALENDARIO ESPIRITUAL 2006
www.mind-surf.net/redluzcalendario.htm
RED MEXICANA DE CONCIENCIA
www.redconciencia.org.mx
PROYECTO INTERREDES
www.interredes.org
www.egrupos.net/grupo/interredes
RED ANAHUAK
www.laneta.apc.org/redanahuak
www.elistas.net/lista/redanahuak
LA CASA DE LA RED
www.lacasadelared.com
Contacto instantaneo:
MSN messenger: ricardoredluz@...
Yahoo messenger: anahuak2001
Los mejores recursos digitales para tu grupo:
www.activarte.org.mx