Asunto:[GAP] Cierren la Escuela de las Americas y fin al militarismo estadunidense / Update from the November Vigil to Close the SOA
Fecha:Domingo, 19 de Noviembre, 2006  10:38:34 (-0600)
Autor:Red Iberoamericana de Luz <ricardoredluz @.....com>

From: SOA Watch <info@...>
Date: 18-nov-2006 15:12
Subject: Update from the November Vigil to Close the SOA
To: luxweb-owner@...

*School of the Americas Watch
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=230514751&url_num=1&url=http://www.soaw.org/new/>;
www.SOAW.org | 202-234-3440 |Click to
subscribe<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=230514751&url_num=2&url=http://soaw.live.radicaldesigns.org/modinput4.php?modin=52>;
*

*Saturday, November 18, 2006 at 4 PM
Fort Benning, Georgia*

  * Visit the SOA Watch
webpage<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=230514751&url_num=3&url=http://www.soaw.org>;for
constant updates

<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=230514751&url_num=4&url=http://www.soaw.org>;
*

 Dear friends,

*As you receive this email, tens of thousands are gathered to shut down the
SOA once and for all!* While record numbers are taking a stand for justice
at the gates of Fort Benning, thousands more are gathered at protests and
vigils throughout the Western Hemisphere. Coordinated actions in Argentina,
Bolivia, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Paraguay, Peru and
the United States are calling for the closure of the School of the Americas
and for an end to U.S. militarism.

* For updates from the vigils, visit
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=230514751&url_num=5&url=http://www.soaw.org>;
www.SOAW.org.*

*Renato Areiza* of the San José Peace Community is currently speaking out at
the gates of Fort Benning. Renato is the brother of Deyanira Areiza.
Deyanira was one of eight people, including two children, who were brutally
murdered in February of 2005 by troops under the command of a graduate of
the School of the Americas.

Earlier today, *George Martin* of United for Peace and Justice led the crowd
in loudly chanting "No more war!" *Al Harris*, a community organizer in New
Orleans, challenged the crowd to put a stop to the racism of the SOA and the
racist systems that the school perpetuates.

Other speakers include *Linda Chavez-Thompson*, the vice-president of the
AFL-CIO, *Debora Barros Fince*, a survivor of the Wayuu massacre in
Colombia, and *Patricia Roberts*, the mother of Jamaal Addison, the first
soldier from Georgia killed in Iraq.

Charlie King, Karen Brandow, Elise Witt and the Musicians Collective have
been filling the air with sweet sounds leading the crowd in anthems for
justice.

This morning the Columbus Convention Center was overflowing during the
Morning Plenary that discussed the upcoming events of the weekend. This
evening's events will include teach-ins and workshops on the situation in
Oaxaca, Theater of the Oppressed, film screenings, caucuses, group
discussions, and more, all preparing us for the procession tomorrow.

Spirits are high today as we ready ourselves for our gathering tomorrow. We
have heard inspirational music, listened to moving speeches, and reveled in
the joyful spirit infusing the gathering. One person has been arrested for
challenging the police barricades that have been erected to prevent
protesters from entering the area except for at two entrances, which are
being monitored by police. The military is continuing its surveillance of
SOA Watch, monitoring the protest at the gates of the Fort Benning with a
helicopter hovering above the vigil site.

*Torture survivors, people who have been targeted by SOA graduates and
social movement activists from across the Western Hemisphere will walk with
us in the solemn funeral procession that commemorates the victims of SOA
violence.* Many in the gathering will negotiate a barbed-wire fence and
enter the military base in an act of nonviolent civil disobedience, risking
arrest and imprisonment. Since the protest began over a decade ago,
thousands have engaged in nonviolent direct action. Following the funeral
procession and the direct action, we will celebrate the resistance in a
ritual of return to life.

*For up-to-date news on the gathering, please visit our homepage at
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=230514751&url_num=6&url=http://www.soaw.org>;
www.SOAW.org.*

*The movement is growing stronger and stronger and we are going to close the
SOA!*

*Photos by Ted Stein.*

--
RED IBEROAMERICANA DE LUZ
10o ANIVERSARIO (1996-2006)
www.redluz-ci.org
www.elistas.net/lista/redluz
www.mind-surf.net/redluz.htm
www.mind-surf.net/comunidad.htm
CALENDARIO ESPIRITUAL 2006
www.mind-surf.net/redluzcalendario.htm
RED MEXICANA DE CONCIENCIA
www.redconciencia.org.mx
PROYECTO INTERREDES
www.interredes.org
www.egrupos.net/grupo/interredes
RED ANAHUAK
www.laneta.apc.org/redanahuak
www.elistas.net/lista/redanahuak
LA CASA DE LA RED
www.lacasadelared.com
Contacto instantaneo:
MSN messenger: ricardoredluz@...
Yahoo messenger: anahuak2001
Los mejores recursos digitales para tu grupo:
www.activarte.org.mx