Asunto:[GAP] 186,000 deportations in 2006: NATIONAL LATINO ORGANIZATIONS EXPRESS CONCERN ABOUT RECENT IMMIGRATION RAIDS
Fecha:Domingo, 24 de Diciembre, 2006  12:41:24 (-0600)
Autor:La Casa de la Red <lacasadelared @.....com>

From: dorindamoreno <dorindamoreno@...>
Date: 24-dic-2006 11:13
Subject: [spanishusa] 186,000 deportations in 2006: NATIONAL LATINO
ORGANIZATIONS EXPRESS CONCERN ABOUT RECENT IMMIGRATION RAIDS
To: PuebloSinFronteras-owner@..., Activist List <
Activist_List@...>, Chicano Parks <cpscchicanopark@...>,
"juntos_sf@..." <juntos_sf@...>, "
LARED-L@..." <LARED-L@...>, Latino
Vote <latinovoteproject@...&gin, Latinos in Education <
latinosineducation@...>, Spanish USA <spanishusa@...>,
Central Coast <CentralCoastDiversityAlliance@...>,
BlackBrownUnity <BlackBrownUnityCommunity@...>

Hcottin@... wrote:

U.S. Deports 4,500 Illegal Immigrants

WASHINGTON, Dec. 23 (UPI) -- U.S. immigration officials removed more than
4,500 illegal immigrants from the country in the past two weeks in one of
the largest deportations of the year.

Department of Homeland Security Assistant Secretary Julie Myers said 1,414
of those deported had criminal records, The Washington Times reports.

'Apprehending, detaining and removing criminal and other illegal aliens
promotes public safety and protects the integrity of the immigration
system,' she said.

The illegal immigrants were flown on more than 55 flights to the Caribbean,
Latin America, Africa, Asia and the Pacific Rim.

They had been housed at various detention facilities across the country.

In fiscal 2006, Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials removed more
than 186,600 illegal immigrants from the United States, a record for the
agency and a 10 percent increase over the number of immigrants deported the
previous fiscal year.

More than 50,000 were repatriated to Central American and Caribbean
countries, the agency said

  Letter from Hispanic organizations to Bush
Posted by: "project mas"  projectmas@...
Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:11 am (PST)
Contact:
Diana Tejada
Flavia Jiménez
(202) 785-1670
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Dec 21, 2006

NATIONAL LATINO ORGANIZATIONS EXPRESS CONCERN ABOUT RECENT IMMIGRATION RAIDS
Washington, DC - Four of the leading national Hispanic advocacy
organizations in the United States - the League of United Latin American
Citizens (LULAC), the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund
(MALDEF), the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials
(NALEO) Educational Fund, and the National Council of La Raza (NCLR) - this
week released the text of a letter to President Bush expressing their
concern following the raids earlier this month at Swift Company plants.

The text of the letter follows:

December 20, 2006

Dear Mr. President:

We write to express our deepest concern and alarm over the recent raids by
Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials at Swift Company plants.
It has been reported that more than 1,200 individuals have been taken into
ICE custody and detained at facilities throughout the country, and some have
been removed from the U.S. These raids have separated families, closed
factories, and slowed the economies of entire regions. Yet the raids have
not significantly reduced the size of the undocumented immigrant population,
and have not rooted out unscrupulous employers who hire and exploit
immigrant workers. Surely this is not a convincing way to resolve our
country s real immigration problems.

While we respect your authority to enforce immigration laws, as Latino
organizations we have serious concerns about the manner in which these most
recent raids were conducted. Various news reports and accounts from members
of the community have claimed that racial profiling was used to single out
workers for questioning; furthermore, we have reports that lawful permanent
residents were detained. Furthermore, we understand that authorities
prevented family members, clergy, and legal representatives from
communicating with those detained, including in situations which could
affect the health and safety of their family members. We are especially
concerned for the children of those detained. In the short term, the
children must be housed, fed, and clothed. In the long term, these children
face the reality of a future separated from their parents, or living in a
foreign country that is not their own. This is simply an unacceptable
outcome, destructive to the lives of individual families and entire
communities in several states. In all cases, government agencies must
respect the due process rights of all individuals, and ICE must take into
account the welfare of the children, elderly relatives, or other dependents
of those detained.

Perhaps the greatest irony of the Swift raids is that Swift was attempting
to obey the law faithfully. As a participant in the Basic Pilot program,
Swift was required to verify the documents of each of its employees. ICE has
proven that the Basic Pilot is not effective in cases of identity theft or
document fraud, and even employers who abide by the rules are likely to lose
their workforce and struggle to replace it with authorized workers. In the
absence of comprehensive immigration reform, the current enforcement
strategy is simply inadequate.

Ultimately, these raids were carried out in the service of an immigration
system which the country believes and your Administration agrees is broken.
The Swift raids provide additional evidence that Congress and the
Administration must work together to pass comprehensive immigration reform
legislation. But as that debate unfolds, it seems especially cruel to invest
enforcement resources in a strategy which maximizes the human cost of our
broken system, while doing nothing to correct the sources of the problem.

We urge you in the strongest possible terms to rethink your immigration
enforcement strategy and invest in tactics which maximize effectiveness
while minimizing harm to families and communities.

Sincerely,

League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC)
Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF)
National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials
(NALEO) Educational Fund National Council of La Raza (NCLR)

cc: Michael Chertoff, DHS

Foro SPANISH USA
El castellano y la biculturalidad en los Estados Unidos.
www.yahoogroups.com/group/spanishusa

--
LA CASA DE LA RED
www.lacasadelared.com