Asunto:[GAP] Prohibiran bolsas de plastico para comercios en San Francisco / Primera ciudad de los EUA en hacerlo / Bandos similares en Paris, Taiwan, Sudafrica y Bangladesh
Fecha:Miercoles, 28 de Marzo, 2007  13:01:57 (-0600)
Autor:Proyecto Interredes <lacasadelared @.....com>

Sacks Education
San Francisco approves first-in-nation ban on plastic bags

San Francisco is the first U.S. city to pass a ban on non-recyclable plastic
bags at major supermarkets and drugstores. Once it's signed into law, the
stores will have six months to a year to sack the sacks, switching to
compostable, recyclable ones made from corn or potato starch -- or reverting
to recyclable paper. "We can take steps to make our economy a little more
soulful," said lawmaker and ban author Ross Mirkarimi. "Hopefully, other
cities and other states will follow suit." Similar bans are in place in
South Africa, Taiwan, Bangladesh, and Paris. Noting that his city's
businesses hand out 180 million plastic bags a year, Mirkarimi asked, "Why
did we have to obligate [stores] to do this? Why didn't they do it
voluntarily? It's like waiting for the auto manufacturers to increase gas
efficiency." The California Grocers Association raised some half-hearted
concerns -- it'll cost more! it'll confuse shoppers! compostable bags suck!
-- but all we hear is that Charlie Brown teacher voice.

straight to the source: San Francisco Chronicle, Charlie Goodyear, 28 Mar
2007
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/03/28/SFSUPES.TMP

straight to the source: Los Angeles Times, John M. Glionna, 28 Mar 2007
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-plastic28mar28,1,1718102.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-california&ctrack=1&cset=true

straight to the source: The Mercury News, Associated Press, Lisa Leff, 27
Mar 2007
http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_5535454

NOW IN GRIST

Cover Story. Grist reviews the spring crop of green glossy mags.

Brawn With the Wind, by Kate Galbraith. Goldman Sachs and other financial
powerhouses get into the Texas wind biz.

Hitting Back, in InterActivist. Send a question to Mary Anne Hitt, director
of Appalachian Voices.
GRISTMILL BLOG

Fred Thompson. Will he run?

Inhofe hates the rock music. Climate contrarian blocks Gore concert plans.

Purity vs. efficacy. 'Nature for nature's sake' has limited appeal.

SUPPORT GRIST

Support nonprofit, independent environmental journalism.
Donate to Grist.

Want fresh environmental news and commentary delivered to your inbox?

Choose from breaking news, advice on green living, and the latest political
gossip, all free from Grist.

Grist: Environmental News and Commentary

Asunto: Daily Grist: San Francisco bans plastic bags, and more
De:   grist@...

--
CALENDARIO ESPIRITUAL 2007