Inicio > Mis eListas > meshiko > Mensajes

West African Drumm Ricardo
III CUMBRE DE INFA Ricardo
Dia de Muertos / S Ricardo
II Encuentro Nacio Ricardo
II ENCUENTRO DE LA Ricardo
Invitan a taller s Ricardo
Documentos y libro Ricardo
FW: Taller Intensi Ricardo
1er Congreso de Co Ricardo
Dia Internacional Ricardo
La Suprema Ilusion Ricardo
Creacion Grupo Sus Ricardo
Convocatoria Selec Ricardo
Nosotras las Madre Ricardo
Panel 'Recesión ec Ricardo
ORACION INDIGENA Ricardo
Ya Despertaste? Ricardo
Apoyo a Eureka / S Ricardo
QUÉ OCULTA LA CAMP Ricardo
FW: Genocide In Af Ricardo
Convocatoria a enc Ricardo
FW: URGENTE AYUDA Ricardo
'Lazo Verde por la Ricardo
Los Cuarenta y Uno Ricardo
Historia de la lla Ricardo
Son Inteligentes l Ricardo
El engaño / Luis J Ricardo
Paro nacional de t Ricardo
Accion Frente al L Ricardo
Conferencia sobre Ricardo
Festival por la di Ricardo
Cronica del Segund Ricardo
Cronica del Segund Ricardo
Sociedad Organizad Ricardo
Buying Nothing, no Ricardo
ENCUENTRO DE ORGAN Ricardo
El Pacifismo en lo Ricardo
Mexico Week In Rev Ricardo
Dia de la Tierra 2 Ricardo
Alfombras / Juan G Ricardo
Primer Encuentro U Ricardo
Foro Xelajú: Recha Ricardo
EL DIA DEL BASTA Ricardo
LA DOBLE MORAL DE Ricardo
LOS BUSH Y EL TERR Ricardo
CARAVANA ¡AHORA! P Ricardo
¿Estaremos Realmen Ricardo
Tres millones 200 Ricardo
Invitacion de Idea Ricardo
Concejo de Pueblos Ricardo
 << 50 ant. | 50 sig. >>

MESHIKO - LATINOAMERICA

Asunto:[MESHIKO] Buying Nothing, not Shoveling Fuel
Fecha:Lunes, 26 de Noviembre, 2001  10:25:32 (-0700)
Autor:Ricardo Ocampo-Anahuak Networks <anahuak @.............mx>

----------
From: Brian Czech <brianczech@...>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 22:45:21 -0800
Subject: Buying Nothing, not Shoveling Fuel

Dear Buy Nothing Day International Participants,

First of all, thank you sincerely for the good work on Buy Nothing Day!
In my opinion, you are the real patriots of the world.

I’ve written a book about consumption that you might find useful.  The
book is called Shoveling Fuel for a Runaway Train: Errant Economists,
Shameful Spenders, and a Plan to Stop Them All.  I start by using
principles of ecology (my first profession) to reveal the problems of
over-consumption.  In part 2 I focus on conspicuous consumers (especially
American conspicuous consumers), whom I call the "liquidating class"
because they are liquidating our children’s future.  I call on the
"steady state class" to castigate (not violently, but in socially
meaningful ways) the liquidating class.  This, I believe, is the key to
reducing consumption throughout society because it is politically
feasible and would initiate "trickle-down consumption", leading to the
steady state (non-growing) economy.

I call this whole movement the "steady state revolution"; replacing
economic growth with a non-growing, steady state economy (with stable
population and consumption).  In a way, you are already participating in
this movement, just like I am participating in Buy Nothing Day!

My goal with Shoveling Fuel was to write a book based on solid principles
of ecology and political science (my Ph.D. minor) that was also very
readable for the general public.  I think it worked, and several readers
have told me they read Shoveling Fuel in one sitting.

I realize how ironic it is to "pitch" something on Buy Nothing Day, so I
hope you can get Shoveling Fuel from the library, borrow a copy, or
whatever.  Otherwise, Amazon has the cheapest price ($16 new, $9.50
used).  In any event, you can see what readers and reviewers have said
at:

Also, you are welcome to check out my website:

http://homestead.juno.com/brianczech/steadystate.html

and sign the guestbook.  You can find chapter 1 (Economic Growth as a
National Goal) at:

http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/9057/9057.ch01.html

and chapter 6(The Steady State Revolution: Precepts and Terminology) at:

http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/9057/9057.ch06.html

Thanks again and keep up the good work,

Brian Czech, Ph.D.
Arlington, VA
USA
brianczech@...

P.S.  In lectures I have given lately, people have asked, "Do you think
the anti-American sentiment we are seeing is like a steady state
revolution among nations, where other nations are beginning to see the
United States as the liquidating class of the world?"  My answer is yes,
although we have to be careful to recognize that every nation has its
liquidating class, too.  Also, other nations are still emulating the
United States and its consuming lifestyle.  So much of the blame is with
the United States, but the United States probably won’t change until it
sees other nations AND its own steady state class revolt (socially, not
violently) against the liquidating class.  I hope to learn more about the
international possibilities for the steady state revolution as it gains
an international audience.  Please let me know if you think Shoveling
Fuel should be translated in other languages.  (Right now there is
interest in Spanish, Taiwanese, Greek, and Italian translations.)

Crea y administra tus propias listas de correo gratuitas, en español.