Inicio > Mis eListas > meshiko > Mensajes

Foro Xelajú: Recha Ricardo
EL DIA DEL BASTA Ricardo
LA DOBLE MORAL DE Ricardo
LOS BUSH Y EL TERR Ricardo
CARAVANA ¡AHORA! P Ricardo
¿Estaremos Realmen Ricardo
Tres millones 200 Ricardo
Invitacion de Idea Ricardo
Concejo de Pueblos Ricardo
Red de Accion Ciud Ricardo
Seminario EN DEFEN Ricardo
Aztlan / Santuario Ricardo
Encuentro con el M Ricardo
Invitación Seminar Ricardo
Leadership Account Ricardo
¿ESTAS DE ACUERDO Ricardo
FW: El Lado Oscuro Ricardo
PRI: cerca de la d Ricardo
AVISO IMPORTANTE p Ricardo
FW: ¿ESTAS DE ACUE Ricardo
Amazonian Deforest Ricardo
World Summit on Su Ricardo
La transicion poli Ricardo
Carrera por Chapal Ricardo
Reuniones Prepator Ricardo
THE RISE OF THE FO Ricardo
Guadalupe, Emperat Ricardo
Carta de un poeta Ricardo
MENEM: PERSONA NON Ricardo
Hasta cuando Latin Ricardo
FW: ojo-Hasta cuan Ricardo
FW: Dialogos para Ricardo
La ´´vida´´ contra Ricardo
Cursos en Agroecol Ricardo
Anulacion de la De Ricardo
Re: La ´´vida´´ co Ricardo
Cerro Marangatu (M GABRIELA
MILITARES ISRAELÍE Ricardo
ojo-Clausura del F Ricardo
CUBA SI / #20 / Fe Ricardo
ARGENTINA / CACERO Ricardo
Chomsky: la polít Ricardo
Good News Agency - Ricardo
Por Una Economia e Ricardo
El hundimiento del Ricardo
ITESM / Lideres So Ricardo
Documentos Conf. F Ricardo
Apoyo para las Com Ricardo
FW: Mensaje de los Ricardo
South Indian Prove Ricardo
 << 50 ant. | 50 sig. >>

MESHIKO - LATINOAMERICA

Asunto:[MESHIKO] World Summit on Sustainable Development: Indigenous People Speak
Fecha:Martes, 22 de Enero, 2002  04:42:42 (-0700)
Autor:Ricardo Ocampo-RedLuz <anahuak @.............mx>

Sent by Raphael Diaz <earthconcert@...>

World Summit on Sustainable Development: Indigenous People Speak

http://www.johannesburgsummit.org/html/major_groups/indigenouspeoplefinal.do

We came seeking justice on our homelands. We came here to appeal to the
world at large to support our efforts to seek equitable solutions to
discrimination, exploitation, racism, ethnocide and genocide of Indigenous
Nations and Peoples.

We came here to speak on behalf of the natural world being plundered by
governments and corporations. We spoke on behalf of rooted trees that could
not flee the chainsaw. We spoke on behalf of salmon, herring, tuna and
haddock killed in their spawning beds. We had alarming news from the Four
Directions about fish, wildlife and birds, contaminated, sick and
disappearing. And today we continue to speak on their behalf. Today they
are more endangered than ever, and if anything, their conditions are worse.

In these times, humanity must work together, not just for survival, but for
quality of life based on universal values that protect the delicate
inter-relatedness of life that protects us all. ...Biodiversity is a
clinical, technical term for this intricate inter-weaving of life that
sustains us. We indigenous peoples say that we are related to this life;
thus your "resources" are our relations. It is all in how you look at it

Indigenous Peoples have something to offer in this equation for survival
.... We have common goals and responsibilities, and I say, that you, the
leaders of this great hope of the world's people, the United Nations,
should be working with us and not against us, for peace. We submit to you
that as long as you make war against Etenoha (Mother Earth), there can
never be peace."

Chief Oren Lyons of the Onandaga Nation and the Haudenosaunee Confederacy

Introduction

This background paper submitted in preparation for the World Summit on
Sustainable Development (WSSD) reviews developments in the past ten years
since UNCED, to highlight achievements, obstacles, threats and challenges
in the implementation of the Rio agreements, focusing on indigenous peoples
and sustainable development. The commitments made in Chapter 26 of Agenda
21 "Strengthening the Role of Indigenous People and their Communities", as
well as other Rio commitments are the starting point of this assessment,
and linkages are also made with the other international processes bearing
on this theme.

CLIP

Contrary to Agenda 21, which states that the lands of indigenous peoples
should be protected from activities that are either environmentally unsound
or considered by indigenous peoples to be socially and culturally
inappropriate, the growth in the global economy has accelerated the
intrusion of transnational corporations in ancestral lands and communities.
The World Bank and the regional development Banks play a key role in
promoting mining and other extractive industries and in promoting the
macro-economic fiscal, institutional and legal reforms that facilitate
international investment in extractive industries in developing countries.

* * * * * * * * * *

Last month, Mexican officials learned their country is losing its forests
at a rate of nearly 3 million acres a year, or nearly twice the clip
previously thought; now, they're blaming the heavy deforestation on
impoverished indigenous farmers in Chiapas, who slash and burn the jungle
to scrape out their meager living. The long history of mistrust and
violence between the government and indigenous people in Chiapas, the
country's poorest state, makes it particularly tough to negotiate a
compromise between the national and international interest in protecting
the environment and the local exigencies of survival.  At stake is the fate
of critical habitat, including the Lacandon rainforest, the most
biologically diverse jungle after the Amazon.

Christian Science Monitor, Gretchen Peters, 14 Jan 2002
http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0114/p7s1-woam.html

* * * * * * * * * *

Canada may declare G-8 summit site a militarized zone (12 January)
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2002/jan2002/cana-j12.shtml

Canada's Liberal government is considering using new powers it has seized
in the name of the war on terrorism to impede and suppress protests against
next July's G-8 summit in Kananaskis, Alberta. Under Bill C-42, legislation
now before Canada's parliament, the Defense Minister will gain the power to
proclaim any part of Canada land, water or air space a military security
zone. Although Prime Minister Jean Chretien and Justice Minister Anne
McClellan have repeatedly insisted that the anti-terrorist legislation the
Liberals have introduced since September 11 does not threaten dissent,
protests and civil disobedience, Defense Minister Art Eggleton has conceded
that the government could place the summit venue and surrounding area under
the jurisdiction of the Canadian Armed Forces. The military would then be
empowered to remove or prevent anyone from entering the military security
zone who did not have state authorization to be there.

             ~ Promoción especial de eListas.net ~

Ten un detalle con tu lista este año y aprovechate de esta oferta
  ¡¡TU LISTA SIN PUBLICIDAD POR UN AÑO POR TAN SOLO 50 EUROS!!
      Haz clic aquí: http://www.eListas.net/arforce/50/

      ¡Date prisa! Esta oferta expira el 31 de Enero, 2002